“Small enough to know you, large enough to serve you.”
Dear friends of the library, November 28, 2022
As an anchor institution in Gardiner, we strive to promote education, equity, a sense of place, belonging and community. We aim to meet a wide variety of civic and social needs and have emerged from the pandemic stronger and more resilient, while we continue to evolve as our community and world grows and changes.
- Won the 2022 Chronogrammie Reader’s Choice Award for Best Library in the Hudson Valley
- Installed the “Tiny Roost,” - an outdoor art gallery providing another place for local artists to display their work
- Planted a 500 square foot pollinator garden and offered related programming for all ages
- Provided a space for local groups to meet including homeschoolers, Girl Scout troops and a chapter
- Collected over 650 items for the annual Ulster County Food Fight for Gardiner’s Helping Hands
- Completed required action steps as we work towards our Sustainable Library Certification
- Expanded adult programming including monthly writing circles and art classes
- Increased the types of free, weekly tutoring options including college counseling sessions
- Organized the second annual Haunted Library event serving over 400 people of all ages
- Participated in Gardiner Day by providing an activity table for the kids, and in Gardiner’s annual tree lighting ceremony with an ornament making workshop prior to the event
- Re-established our annual Craft, Fabric & Yarn Sale at the Pole Barn in Majestic Park
- Offered varied volunteer opportunities for teens, college students and adults enhancing everyone’s sense of belonging
- Hosted the AARP Tax Aide Program and defensive driving class
Recently you voted on Proposition 414 and it passed with a two to one margin! This will provide an additional $19,255 to our annual budget. We are grateful and humbled by your support. This money will be used to increase staffing, expand programming and manage the upkeep and maintenance of our physical space. However, staffing and operating costs continue to grow, and to maintain and expand our resources, we still count on your private donations to preserve the Gardiner Library as an exceptional community resource.
Please understand 30% of the library’s annual budget is raised through fundraising. Today, we ask you to support our efforts with a tax-deductible gift to the Gardiner Library’s 2022 Annual Appeal fundraiser.
As we finalize a new 3-5 year strategic plan, we are committed to supporting a community where people feel connected while offering the services and resources you have requested. We ask for your contribution to help support our future goals and vision. Thank you.
With sincere gratitude,
Nicole Lane, Library Director
Norma Lana, Board President and the Library Board of Trustees